Forced Displacement in Chiapas
Chiapas, January 20, 2014
To public opinion
To the national and international media
To Independent Human Rights organisations
Sisters and Brothers of the peoples of Mexico and the world
Forced displacement in Chiapas: We express our solidarity and support for the displaced brothers of Ejido Puebla and condemn the forced displacement of people from Banavil, municipality of Tenejapa, and from the ejido Aurora Ermita, in the municipality of Pueblo Nuevo Solistahuacan.
In early 2014 the displaced people from the Ejido Puebla announced that for ten days they would be cutting their coffee; we as organized peoples of Chiapas express our solidarity and support and invite you to remain alert for any emergency that may arise, and we appeal to the national and international community.
We demand that the federal, state and municipal governments take action on the matter; that they give attention to the background of forced displacement in Chiapas and that all actions are based according to international treaties, since the state laws do not protect the displaced but are only designed to disguise all kinds of impunity.
1. Forced displacement from Banavil. On December 4, 2011, 13 people abandoned their homes due to armed aggression from members of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), supported and protected by the municipal government of Tenejapa from the Green Ecologist Party of Mexico (PVEM), under Esteban Guzmán Jiménez.
2. Forced displacement from the ejido Aurora Ermita. For the last 3 years, since June 17th, 2010, 75 people have been displaced; they are currently living in Jitotol and in Pueblo Nuevo Solistahuacán, there Alfonso López Montejo, aged 22, was killed and afterwards his family was displaced, currently the attacking group is protected by the municipal government of the Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD), under Enoch Pérez Díaz.
We demand and denounce:
- We denounce the deaf ears and inattention of the State Government.
- We denounce the dispossession of the land and territory of the peoples in Chiapas, since for the governments these only serve as commodities.
- We demand that the human rights officers of the government do their jobs regarding the displacement, since they manipulate information and do not propose any solution, they just delay it.
- We urge the federal and state government to comply with the Guiding Principles on Internal Displacement of the United Nations.
Movimiento de El Bosque por la Defensa del Pueblo
Resistencia Civil Luz y Fuerza del Pueblo-adherentes a la Sexta
Comité Particular Ejecutivo Agrario de Chiapas
Former prisoners from la Voz del Amate – adherents to the Sexta.
Laklumal Ixim-Norte Selva (Nuestro Pueblo de Maíz)
Resistencia Civil de Santo Tomás, Oxchuc – adherents to the Sexta.
Displaced people from Banavil, Tenejapa.
Displaced people from the ejido Aurora Ermita, Pueblo Nuevo Solistahuacán
Frente Ricardo Flores Magón de Ixtapa