The JBG Central Heart of the Zapatistas before the World denounces the attacks, provocations, threats, plunder and violence from people affiliated to political parties in San Marcos Avilés
GOOD GOVERNMENT JUNTA
CENTRAL HEART OF THE ZAPATISTAS BEFORE THE WORLD
CARACOL TZOBOMBAIL LEKIL YU’UN J’AMTELETIK
TA O’LOL YO’ON ZAPATISTA TA STUK’IL SAT YELOB SJUNUL BALUMIL
20 APRIL 2013
TO PUBLIC OPINION
TO THE NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PRESS
TO NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONALCIVIL SOCIETY
TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS
TO THE ALTERNATIVE MEDIA
TO THE ADHERENTS TO THE OTHER CAMPAIGN
TO THE ADHERENTS TO THE SEXTA INTERNATIONAL
BROTHERS AND SISTERS
THE GOOD GOVERNMENT JUNTA CENTRAL HEART OF THE ZAPATISTAS BEFORE THE WORLD, BASED IN OVENTIC CARACOL II RESISTANCE AND REBELLION FOR HUMANITY, IN THE HIGHLAND ZONE, DENOUNCE THE MULTIPLE ATTACKS, PROVOCATIONS, THREATS, PLUNDER AND ARROGANT ATTITUDES, VIOLENCE AND ABUSE FROM PEOPLE AFFILIATED TO THE POLITICAL PARTIES AND THEIR AUTHORITIES FROM THE COMMUNITY OF SAN MARCOS AVILÉS,OFFICIAL MUNICIPALITY OF CHILÓN.
In our last denouncement on July 1, 2011 we described all the barbarities committed by people affiliated to the different political parties, supported by the three levels of the bad official government; since that time the attacks, threats, thefts, destruction of crops and acts of harassment, led by Lorenzo Ruiz Gómez against our Zapatista support bases in the community of San Marcos Avilés have not stopped; we would now like to mention the following events:
1. On July 29, 2011 the compas of San Marcos Avilés realized that one of the attackers had made a deal with another party member from the Tacuba community to exchange a sound system for a rifle, they saw it was a 16 rifle of 22 caliber and afterwards, he was showing off the gun as he was pointing it at the daughter of the compa Juan Velasco Aguirre. Another compa realized that he was carrying the rifle to the coffee plantation where compas had been dispossessed.
The aggressor, who is called Santiago Cruz Diaz, says that he bought the gun to kill some Zapatistas and also to use it against the [human rights] observers.
2. On August 1, 2011 the aggressors went to Chilón to talk to the former municipal president, to the accountant Antonio, and the accountant told the aggressors that he would help them with the problems they have. The former municipal president said that he would ask for a hearing in Tuxtla and asked the aggressors to make a statement to be signed by all the ejidatarios and also by the women, and young people. The statement should explain that all the things for which they are blamed by the Good Government Junta and the Frayba Human Rights Center are all lies.
3. On January 17, 2012 our support base compaňero Gerardo and his compaňeros were cutting their coffee collectively; there were eight Zapatista support bases in the coffee plantation, when at 11:30 am they met the party supporter and leader from the Green Party (PV) Lorenzo Ruiz Gómez and his son Ismael Ruiz Núñez. These people from the political party, mainly Juan Velasco Mendoza, started to say the coffee plantation did not belong to the compas and that they should leave now, and if they did not they would be forced to leave, he also said that the support bases were worthless, that the international observers were useless, he also said that FRAYBA was worthless and so was the good government junta.
4. On January 18, 2012 Vicente Ruiz López (PRI) and his sons Vicente Ruiz Méndez (PRI) and Samuel Ruiz Méndez cut down 100 coffee trees and pulled up the chayote plants from the piece of land of our support base compaňero Gerardo. The party supporters said they were going to continue to do this and kept repeating the same words as before.
5. On February 9, 2012, the compaňeros Javier Ruiz Cruz, owner of a coffee field, and José Hernández Ruiz, at around 1:00 pm found 108 coffee trees destroyed, 94 uprooted, 14 cut from the trunk; the youngest coffee trees were 1 year old, most of the trees were two years old, but in the upper part near the land a pile of 35 trees were found piled up that had been thrown out on a cliff on the way to Tacuba Nueva community. The value of these plants would be an average price of 130.00 for each tree, meaning the total value would be 14,040.00 pesos.
6. On February 19 the ejidal commissioner Ernesto Lopez Nuñez was heard on the radio talking to the agent Aristeo Cante Cruz accusing the Zapatista support base Mariano Pérez of throwing a stone at a car driving down the road. The houses of our support bases who were accused were attacked with stones.
7. On February 21, 2012, at 9 pm party supporters blocked with rocks the main road situated opposite the autonomous school, however, the ejidal commissioner of San Marcos accused the Zapatista support bases who live opposite the school of blocking the road.
8. On February 28, 2012, they cut with machetes and pulled up 75 coffee trees from the field of the compaňero Enrique Pérez Núñez. Also people from the official (ruling) party stole 100 pumpkins from his field.
9. On March 2, 2012, Enrique Pérez Núñez spoke to one of the aggressors, who said the party supporters have a new strategy to evict our compaňeros Zapatistas support bases. They also said they were going to continue with the second phase of taking away the rights of the support base compaňeros and continue destroying and stealing from the cornfields of our compaňeros, because these attacks have no repercussions; at 9 pm on the same day, the party supporter Lorenzo Ruiz Gómez and his son Andrés Ruiz Nuñez, on their way back to their community of Tacuba, stopped to kick the planks of the house of support base Diego Velasco Aguilar, from there they carried on and threw a stone at the house of the support base Juan Velasco Mendoza and also threw another stone at the autonomous Zapatista school and shouted that the Zapatistas are worthless to them and that they have weapons of .38 caliber (gun), 16 caliber (rifle) and cartridges for them, and they kept saying they had an AK47 and high velocity rifles used by the military, and are well loaded with two magazines. When these two party supporters came to their houses they fired five shots into the air with a .38 caliber gun, saying they were not afraid at all because they were armed.
10. On March 27, 2012, at 12 noon while our support base compaňeros were praying in the church, the compa Juan Pérez Nuñez was the victim of a robbery in his house, they broke the timbers in the lower part of his house and dug down into the ground and managed to steal a package of dry coffee beans weighing 50 kilos.
11. On March 31, 2012, the party supporters and the aggressors held an assembly.
The first point they dealt with was that they made an agreement about the compas who had pulled up some pine and they were totally forbidden to cut more wood and if they returned to cut more wood they would seize our compaňeros and take them to the official municipality of Chilón, Chiapas, along with the chainsaw operator; and the ejidal commissioner, the agent and his assistants made a deed of agreement which the 70 ejidatarios signed, telling the chainsaw operator that he must not come back to cut more trees for the compas and forcing him to sign the agreement.
The second point: they made an agreement to request the Final program, all 70 ejidatarios agreed and said to the commission that if anyone objects they will be expelled from the community, and also said that the support base compaňeros were not paying the property taxes each year, that when carrying out land measuring the rights of the compas will be transferred to their children, the ejidatarios will treat them as animals who will have no rights to make cornfields, they will have no right to take trees for firewood .
The third point: agreed that because the compas are not paying for their electricity they would start to remove electric supply from each house of our compaňeros.
EVENTS FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR 2013
On 25 January 2013 at 7 o’clock in the morning, an aggressor from San Marcos community by the name of Pedro Canté Mendoza went to the piece of land of our compaňero Zapatista support base Diego Aguilar Velasco and stole100 coffee bushes which were already planted.
On January 26, 2013, a group of aggressors Vicente Ruiz López, Alejandro Ruiz Núñez, Rubén Martínez Vázquez, Tomás Hernández Aguilar, Jose Cruz Hernandez, Manuel Vázquez Gómez, Santiago Cruz Diaz, Abraham Canté López, Carlos Ruiz Gómez and Ernesto López Núñez invaded a portion of land of our support base compaňero José Hernández Ruiz, and cut down 100 banana plants.
On January 27, 2013, at about 4 o’clock in the afternoon, two aggressors called Socrates Ruiz Núñez and Ismael Ruiz Núñez, both sons of the leader of the attackers Lorenzo Ruiz Gómez, went to the land of Pedro Canté López to pull up 100 coffee bushes, 16 of those bushes they took away.
This was not the first time these aggressors had committed these acts, they have often come to steal sugar cane from the field of our compaňero.
On January 29, 2013, a compaňero support base Javier Ruiz Cruz informs us that he has a 32 x 25 meter field on the bank of a lagoon, but the attackers put a fence around the lagoon, invading part of the field of our compaňero Javier Ruiz Cruz, it is not known why that place is fenced, but there are rumours that it is for building a military camp.
On February 6th 2013, they came in the night to steal some chickens from our compaňero support base Miguel Gómez Guzman, it has not been identified who did it, but it is believe it was one of the previous aggressors.
On February 8, 2013, at 12 noon he found a horse tied in his coffee plantation belonging to one of the attackers called Santiago Cruz Diaz, supporter of the PRI party. This is not the first time the aggressor has tied his horse in the coffee plantation of our compaňero, because he has done so previously on several occasions.
On February 11, 2013, our compaňero Manuel Hernández López was informed by some of the aggressors, that the ejidal commissioner Ernesto López Núñez, Manuel Vázquez Gómez from the vigilance council and auxiliary agent Juan Perez Mecia, belonging to the PRI party, have sent a list of the names of the support bases to the federal electricity company in Yajalón for not paying the tax for the electricity. These aggressors have requested support from other nearby communities and threaten the support bases compaňeros to cut their electricity service.
On 12 February 2013, they stole 2 pieces of embroidery from the home of our support base compaňera Gloria Martínez Vázquez, while she was picking coffee in her coffee plantation, the value of each piece of embroidery is $500, and for the two the amount is $1,000.
On March 3, 2013 at 8 pm the aggressors and party officials met with the main leader Lorenzo Ruiz Gómez, and said there was no alternative but to kill those who walk near their homes, first they would murder the children of our compaňeros and this is their job, asking what they´re going to do about it as the main leader, LORENZO RUIZ GOMEZ, who is from the Chilón municipal police, and afterwards he asked his other compaňeros to murder our compaňero Juan Velasco Aguilar and the other Zapatista support base compaňeros; they said they are ready to kill our compaňeros and they have enough weapons.
On 9 March 2013 our compaňero Juan Velasco Aguilar and other compaňeros were working, and about 50 meters away there were 3 children of the aggressors called Vicente Ruiz Méndez (PRI) Luis Vásquez López (PV) Samuel Vásquez López (PV), of about 20 years of age, these three children of the aggressor struck their machetes 15 times against a stone, as a way to show threat to our compaňeros.
On 13 March 2013 they pulled up seven newly planted coffee plants of our compaňero Agustin Pérez Núñez and the aggressor was identified as Oscar Cante López from the Green Party (PV).
On 17 April 2013 the municipal president of Chilón sent a tractor to San Marcos Avilés to flatten a plot of land, seized 32 by 25 meters, owned by support base compaňero Javier Ruiz Cruz and so the tractor was protected by 120 people from different parties from the same community of San Marcos Avilés. Our support base compaňero could do nothing to defend his property.
The next day, April 18th, the tractor continued to work on the site surrounded by the same number of people from the political parties as the day before and with 7 lorries to carry the gravel. However up to now we do not know for what purpose they are flattening and filling in the land of our compaňero.
To corroborate these facts mentioned we have the testimony of national and international observers who are installed in a camp of observation in the Ejido San Marcos Avilés.
For these acts of provocation, aggression and seizing of the land and property of our compaňeros we blame directly the following men: Lorenzo Ruiz Gómez (PV), José Cruz Hernández (PRI), Rubén Martínez Vásquez (PV), Santiago Cruz Díaz (PRI), Vicente Ruiz López (PRI), Manuel Díaz Ruiz (PV), Ernesto López Núñez (PRI) new member of the commission, Manuel Vásquez Gómez (PRI), Alejandro Núñez Ruíz (PRI), Victor Núñez Martínez (PV), Victor Díaz Sánchez (PV), José Hernández Méndez (PRI), Tomás Hernández Aguilar (PV) Ernesto Méndez Gutiérrez (PV), Raú Cante López (PV), Abraham CanteLópez (PRI), Gustavo Cante López (PV), Juan Pérez Cruz (PRI), Rogelio Ruiz Gómez (PV), Carlos Ruiz Gómez (PV), Pedro Canté Mendoza (PV), Carmelino Hernández Hernández (PRI), Rodolfo Ruiz Pérez (PRI) Antonio Cante Mendoza (PV), Nicolás Cante Cruz (PV), Pedro Cante Cruz (PV) Vicente Ruiz Méndez (PRI Francisco Daniel), Manolo Cruz Díaz (PRI), Antonio Gómez Pérez (¿?), Ezequiel Cruz Vásquez (PV), Cruz Gómez (PV), Sebastián Díaz Vásquez (PV), Manuel Cante Gómez 11(the younger) (PV), Domingo Guzmán Gómez (PV), Celestino Guzmán Canté (PV), Rogelio Núñez Martínez (PV), Pedro Hernández Méndez (PRI), Juan Núñez Martínez (PV), Rus Bel Hernández Núñez Martínez (PV), Alejandro Hernández Sánchez (PV), EMA Ruiz Gómez (PV), José Hernández Méndez (PV).
We as the good government junta of the highlands area of Chiapas have during previous years been denouncing all the shameful acts of these people from the political parties, who always want to make more problems between indigenous of the same community; they were organized by Sabines, and now by Manuel Velasco Coello. But unfortunately the three levels of official government have done nothing to stop the injustice and the violation of human rights that is being committed against our support base compaňeros of the ejido San Marcos Avilés. The response to our complaints has been swearing, teasing and more threats to our compaňeros.
We as the Good Government Junta will not cease to denounce publicly the provocations, harassment and assaults suffered by our brothers and sisters in any community and municipality in our area. Although the bad State, municipal and federal governments will continue supporting, advising and backing the aggressors, so they continue provoking, threatening and depriving our Zapatista support bases of their rights. Because even at this time there are no signs of an end to this aggressive and arrogant attitude of the bad governors and the people affiliated to the different political parties.
Because they think that in this way they will put an end to our struggle with provocations, threats, attacks and persecutions of the Zapatista communities who are struggling for the construction of our autonomy as original peoples, but we want you all to know that no one is going to stop our struggle, because we the Zapatistas are going to keep going forward, whatever it costs us, no matter what happens, because it is our right and obligation to struggle for justice, for freedom and for true democracy.
For now this is all we have to say, we will be watching what may happen in the community where they will not allow our compaňeros to live in peace.
MANUEL PERES JIMENEZ
SECILIA LOPEZ HERNANDEZ
DAVID GOMEZ GOMEZ
SUSANA GONZALES RUIZ